Back to FAQs


Please choose a question from the menu below:

Am I insured to drive someone else's car?

If you take out a Bell policy this may be included as part of your policy, subject to eligibility. If you have this cover it will be shown on your Certificate of Motor Insurance under Section 5.

Am I covered if someone else drives my car?

Once you are insured with Bell, only drivers named on your current Certificate of Motor Insurance are covered by Bell.

If you are a current Bell customer and would like to add a driver to your policy please contact us here. Please note there may be an additional charge for making this change to your policy. Please have the following details ready when you call and one of our representatives will be happy to assess if we can add the driver.

  • The named driver's name, date of birth and occupation
  • The number of years the named driver has held their licence, and their licence type
  • Details of any claims the named driver has had in the last 3 years
  • Details of any motoring convictions the named driver has had in the last 5 years

Am I insured to travel abroad?

You're covered to drive in

  • Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man and Channel Islands
  • Any other country in the European Union
  • Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Serbia and Switzerland.

Your vehicle is also covered while being transported by air, sea or rail between these countries.

You're covered as shown on your Certificate of Motor Insurance for a maximum of 90 days per policy term. Make sure you take your Certificate of Motor Insurance when you travel.

If there's a no-deal Brexit, you'll need a Green Card as well as your Certificate of Motor Insurance to drive your vehicle in the countries listed above. The Green Card is proof that you have the minimum level of insurance needed in the country you're driving in. You must take the original Green Card as photocopies aren't accepted.

If you're concerned you may be abroad in one of the countries listed above in the coming months when there's a chance we could leave the EU without a deal, you can request a Green Card using our online form.

Validating your motor policy

Whenever you buy an insurance policy, we take steps to ensure we know the cover we are providing is right for you so we can support you when you need us, for example, if you have to make a claim and to combat any fraudulent activity. To do this, we may contact you to validate some of your details at any time after you have bought your insurance, and we hope that you'll be able to help us resolve any enquiries quickly.

Please remember it is your responsibility to check you have answered every question we ask honestly and accurately before buying your policy.

Why do we validate our Insurance policies?

By validating insurance policies, we know we are providing you the fairest price for your insurance, and that information we hold is correct. This also helps us in our continued effort to combat fraud and ensure that your policy is unaffected.

We recognize that mistakes happen, so by validating policies we ensure a genuine oversight doesn't become a problem if you need to make a claim.

How we will validate your policy details?

As an insurer we may check your details against databases available to the insurance industry, online quotations and any past or present policies within the Admiral group. We may also ask you to provide documentation to validate the information we hold.

What action will we take?

Our validations teams are here to help and make sure your policy is correct. In cases where we have to make a correction to your policy as a result of the validation process there may be an additional premium to pay as well as our administration fee. In certain cases we may be unable to continue the policy or had we known the correct information, would not have accepted the policy. In these cases the policy may be cancelled or in more serious cases declared void and of no effect since its inception.

Are there any costs involved?

If your policy is voided or cancelled please be aware charges may apply, If a change is made following a validation because of different information, we will charge an administration fee and any additional premium that may be applicable. You can find these charges on our website under existing customers, Legal information, and your agreement with EUI limited.

Do I need a green card to drive in the EU?

A Green Card is an international certificate of insurance that proves drivers have the minimum level of insurance needed in the country they're visiting.

If the UK and EU don’t agree on a deal by 31 December 2020, you'll need a Green Card to drive in:

  • Countries in the European Union (EU)
  • Countries in the European Economic Area (EEA)
  • Bosnia & Herzegovina
  • Andorra
  • Serbia
  • Switzerland

Find out more by reading our Green Card FAQs.

View your documents

Sign in or register to view your documents straight way.

Register now

Proof of No Claims Bonus

Have you sent us your motor insurance proof of No Claims Bonus? If not, please click here to update it online.

Update your proof of bonus

Update your policy

You can make a change or get a quote to make a change to your policy online, including.

  • Change your vehicle or add a temporary vehicle
  • Update, add or remove drivers on your policy
  • Change the address on your policy

And much more.

Update your policy

Useful links

Contact us

Bell is a trading name of EUI Limited. (Reg No: 02686904). EUI Limited is a subsidiary of Admiral Group plc and is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Firm reference number: 309378). These details can be confirmed by visiting the Financial Services Register, EUI Limited acts for, and on behalf of, other regulated insurance companies. Further details may be provided on request.

Admiral Group plc is registered in England and Wales at Tŷ Admiral, David Street, Cardiff. CF10 2EH (Reg No: 03849958).